-->

Grammar Lesson – How to Use I Wish / If Only


When you say “I wish…” you are talking about something that you want but probably will not happen, or you don’t think will happen. Learn how to use I Wish / If Only in this lesson.


Table of Contents


How to Use I Wish / If Only

Use of I Wish / If Only

There are three distinct types of  I wish / if only  sentences:
  1. Wish, wanting change for the present or future with the simple past.
  2. Regret with the past perfect.
  3. Complaints with would + verb.


    Expressing a Wish

    Form

    If only / I wish + simple past
    Example:
    If only I knew how to use a computer. (I don’t know how to use a computer and I would like to learn how to use it)

    Use

    To express a wish in the present or in the future.
    The simple past here is an unreal past.
    When you use the verb to be the form is “were”.
    Example: I wish I were a millionaire!


    Expressing Regret

    Form

    If only / I wish + past perfect
    Example:
    If only I had woken up early. (I didn’t wake up early and I missed my bus.)

    Use

    • To express regret.
    • The action is past.


    Complaining

    Form

    I wish / if only + would + verb
    Example:
    I wish you wouldn’t arrive so late all the time (I’m annoyed because you always come late and I want you to arrive on time)

    Use

    • To complain about a behavior that you disapprove.
    • Expressing impatience, annoyance or dissatisfaction with present action.


New of label : Grammar

Post a Comment